In June 2016 members of the Fairfax County Cemetery Preservation Association and the Burke Historical Society were led on a tour of the Woodlawn Quaker Meetinghouse and burial ground. In 1848, Quakers founded the meeting of Friends who still meet today. Friends (Quakers), Chalkley and Joseph Gillingham purchased the 2,030-acre Woodlawn Tract in 1847. Other Friends purchased another 1,000 acres from the Mount Vernon estate and 1,000 acres from the Cedar Grove plantation near Accotink. Together they founded a community of farming, without slaves. Chalkley and Lucas Gillingham, and Jacob and Paul Hillman Troth formed the Troth-Gillingham Company, and divided the Woodlawn property and sold plots to other Friends from Pennsylvania and New Jersey. A few years later the Woodlawn Quaker community, in addition to farming, was operating a saw mill, flour mill, a store and a blacksmith shop. The Troth and Gillingham families were well respected in the community. Chalkley Gillingham served on the Grand Jury in Norfolk that indicted Jefferson Davis as a traitor [Alexandria Gazette May 12, 1866]. When Gillingham died he was described as one of the best informed agriculture men in the area [Alexandria Gazette January 25, 1881]. P. Hillman Troth twice served as Commissioner of the Election at Accotink, in 1859 and 1861. He was also a charter member of the Woodlawn Horse Company.
The cemetery, which is located behind the meetinghouse, spans many generations of Friends, from the earliest leaders to 21st century members.
Woodlawn Quaker Meetinghouse National Register Nomination – Catlin, Martha Claire; and Fairfax County in 1860: A Collective Biography – Sprouse, Edith Moore