In 1867, Charles and Eliza Brown of Westchester, New York deeded one acre of land to the “Freed Men of Fairfax County.” The land was to be used for religious and education purposes. The first structure was a one room log building, which was used as a church and school. The cemetery was established next to the church. In 1931, the current brick church was built. The cemetery contains over 200 marked graves and numerous unmarked graves. Surveyors were able to distinguish unmarked graves by identifying depressions in the ground and differences in the grass planted. The cemetery, which is well maintained is a mixture of commercial, military and home made grave stones.