Join the community at a candlelight memorial service as we remember the killed and wounded from the Second Battle of Manassas (Bull Run) and Battle of Ox Hill.

8 PM Sunday evening, September 2, 2012
Cemetery of St. Mary of Sorrows Catholic Church
5612 Ox Road (Rte. 123)
Fairfax Station, Virginia

After the battles, many of the wounded were brought to Fairfax Station to await rail transportation to hospitals in D.C. On September 2, 1862, 150 years ago today, Clara Barton and others ministered to and comforted these wounded. Later, Miss Barton wrote,

“By midnight there must have been three thousand helpless men lying in the hay. All night long we made compresses and slings and bound up and wet wounds when we could get water . . .”

Miss Barton worked tirelessly as each train filled to capacity. She left on the last train, assured that all the wounded had been loaded.

Sponsored by
Father Corby Division of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, St. Mary of Sorrows, Fairfax, Virginia
Fairfax County Cemetery Preservation Association, Inc.

Download the flier

Previous articleChurch Fights to Preserve Historic Cemetery
Next articlePreservation group discovers Fairfax County’s past as it cleans up graves